Thursday, June 28, 2007

Concluding thoughts on IST/Wise Camp

Information Technology as a Gateway to the World
Had it not been for this project and the advances in information technology, I wouldn't be writing here, corresponding with the ladies of Jamshedpur.

I hope to continue writing to you guys and receiving comments, this project was very enlightening and I'm glad I chose it.
I enjoyed my time here in the Penn State IST building. Initially, I was a little hesitant to choose the class because I wasn't sure I would learn much. I already knew how to create a blog and upload digital pictures, but in this class I learned about the 'revolution' that is taking place now that anyone can put anything on the internet. Information is everywhere, and technology is helping make it available to everyone.

My favorite part of this class was looking into the cultural differences and how information technology can help mend misunderstandings. My mother was born in the Phillipines, and she often talks about how much easier everyday would be if people could understand where she came from and the differences between the Filipino (really, any county's) and American cultures.

1 comment:

Sharoda said...

Hi Clairissa, I'm glad you took up this project and enjoyed learning about the "social revolution" of the Internet. Indeed exciting times are ahead and its great fun to be part of it. I'm glad you are interested in learning about other cultures because coming from India and settling into a new culture here in the US, I understand the significance of culture too. It was great fun teaching you guys. Wish you all the best with nuclear engineering and do keep blogging :)